Highlights include styling updates inside & out, new technology and the introduction of BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance
The 2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan and Sport Wagon is poised to maintain its market leadership with updated exterior and interior styling, new technologies, enhanced ergonomics and, as previously announced, the U.S. introduction of BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance in the form of the 335d Sedan.
• The new BMW 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons, already and always leaders in their class, widen their lead in driving dynamics, premium quality and innovative technology. • These vehicles combine unique BMW elegance with a driving experience that's widely imitated, yet really inimitable.
• A brand-new twin-turbo diesel engine, thoroughly BMW in its performance and character, powers the new 335d Sedan and expands the scope of BMW EfficientDynamics. • Subtle freshening of exterior design features a new front end, more dynamic profile, and wider appearance at the rear. Headlights and taillights are new, yet present a typically BMW look, innovative lighting technology and 3-dimensional effects.
• Refinement of interior design and amenities includes new colors and materials. Overall design of interior reflects and complements the distinctive exterior design. Among functional updates are ergonomically enhanced placement of power-window controls for the driver and new, expanded storage possibilities.
• New generation of BMW iDrive, available in 3 Series in combination with optional Navigation system: ergonomically optimized iDrive controller with function selection and activation via turn, push and tilt motions; new direct-select keys; more Programmable Memory Keys than before. The newly enhanced Navigation system offers greater functionality.
• BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance: all-new inline 6-cylinder twin-turbo diesel engine with an impressive array of new features for high performance, high fuel efficiency and clean exhaust. To achieve these targets, this aluminum powerplant applies common-rail, high-pressure direct fuel injection with piezo injectors; 2-stage turbocharging; exhaust particulates filter; and Selective Catalytic Reduction exhaust after-treatment to reduce NOx. Displacing 3.0 liters, this truly advanced engine enables BMW to introduce diesel power in all 50 U.S. states; it produces 265 hp and an amazing peak torque of 425 lb-ft.; 0-60 mph in 6.0 sec. with 6-speed automatic transmission. EPA mileage ratings have not been finalized, but are expected to set new "mile"-stones in the simultaneous achievement of performance with fuel economy.
• Continuation of two other trailblazing BMW inline 6-cylinder performance concepts in the other 3 Series models: the 3.0-liter naturally aspirated unit in 328i models with weight-saving magnesium/aluminum composite construction and Valvetronic induction technology for 230 hp; and the 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged engine of 335i models with its direct fuel injection (piezo injectors here, too) and large-volume dual exhaust system. This unit delivers 300 hp, and a peak torque that is remarkable not only for its quantity (300 lb-ft.) but for the range over which it's at the driver's disposal (1400 to 5000 rpm). Both of these gasoline engines have been acclaimed widely for their respective qualities: for the 328i unit, silky and strong performance with remarkable fuel economy; for the 335i, dramatically sporty performance with fuel economy that's notable in view of the power.
• BMW's acclaimed xDrive all-wheel drive is featured in the newly named 328i and 335i xDrive Sedans and 328i xDrive Sports Wagon. This intelligently engineered AWD system steplessly varies the torque split between front and rear wheels to enhance not only traction, but also agility and stability on grippy, as well as slippery road surfaces.
• Comprehensive safety concept with extremely rigid body structure; carefully defined "force paths" that lead and distribute collision forces optimally through the structure; targeted application of high-strength steels and deformation elements; six airbags including front side-impact and front/rear head protection; new Active front head restraints.
• The 2009 models are: 328i Sedan and Sports Wagon; 328i xDrive Sedan and Sports Wagon; 335i, 335i xDrive and 335d Sedans. The 3 Series also encompasses Coupes and retractable-hardtop Convertibles; these continue with less extensive updates for 2009.