The BMW X1 has made an appearance again, but this time away from the snow and onto the 'Ring. This X1 test mule seems to be a production model but due to the heavy camouflage, it is hard to tell how it differentiates itself from the X1 Concept seen at the Paris Auto Show.
The fellows at Edmunds Insideline posted some information on the X1, many of them that we knew already, but it is probably worth mentioning them one more time:
· X1 will be available in late 2009 and only in Europe
· the cabin is not cramped at all, yet the roof lies much lower compared to X3
· the dash was still in camo and the basic layout comes from the 1 Series, the steering wheel as well and the big-screen navigation from the 3 Series
· there are four models available xDrive20i, xDrive20d, xDrive30i and a hybrid version
· xDrive basis torque-distribution ratio in this car is regular 40:60
· the sitting position is a bit higher than in 3er Touring xDrive but much lower than in X3
· the car's driving and overall characteristics are much more similar to 1er & 3er than to X3
· X1 will slot in naturally as BMW's smallest and least expensive compact SUV
The most exciting part of these spy photos is the almost revealed interior design which clearly shows a similarity to the BMW 1 Series.
[Source: Edmunds Insideline ]